Captain Neville Reginald Howse

New South Wales Medical Corps

24th July 1900
     On July 24, 1900, at the action of Vredeort, Captain Howse went forward to a man lying severely wounded, and, taking him up, carried him some consider-able distance to shelter, during which humane act he came under a very severe cross-fire .from the Boers. The decoration was presented to Captain Howse by Sir Frederick Darling, Governor of New South Wales, on February 8, 1902, at Sydney.

   Neville Reginald Howse was born at Stogursey, Somerset, on 26 Oct. 1863, the second surviving son of the late Alfred Howse, M.R.C.S. (England), and of the late Lucy Elizabeth, daughter of the late John Hugh Claudius Beresford Conroy, of Rosevale, Raheny. He was educated at Fulland's School, Taunton ; entered the London Hospital as a student in 1882, and took his diploma of M.R.C.S. (England) and L.R.C.P. (London) in 1886. He went to Australia in 1889, and practised at Taree, Manning River, until 1895, when he returned to England, devoting himself to surgery for a period of four years. He obtained his F.R.C.S. (England) in 1897. In 1899 lie returned to Australia and settled at Orange, New South Wales. After a few months he went to South Africa as Lieutenant in New South Wales Army Medical Corps ; promoted Captain ; mentioned in Despatches 4 June, 1901 ; received Queen's Medal with six clasps, and King's Medal with two clasps, and was awarded the Victoria Cross [London Gazette, 4 June, 1909] :

     He was invalided to Australia, and in 1902 returned to South Africa as Major in Command of the 1st Australian Commonwealth Bearer Company. After the war he returned to Orange, and in 1905 married Evelyn, eldest daughter of C. de Vial Pilcher, of Newstead, Orange, and has two sons and three daughters : Everil Marjorie ; Neville Charles, born in 1909 ; Evelyn Elizabeth ; John Brooke, born in 1913 ; Alison Neville. When war broke out in 1914 he was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel ; appointed R.M.O. of Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force, embarking at Sydney on 10 Aug. for Rabaul. He returned from Rabaul in Oct. 1914, and sailed with the first Expeditionary Force. Appointed A.D.M.S. 28 Dec. 1914, and promoted Colonel. Landed in Gallipoli on 25 April, 1915 ; appointed D.D.M.S., on 11 Sept. 1915 ; mentioned in Despatches ; created a C.B. 5 Aug. 1915. After evacuation proceeded to Egypt ; promoted Surgeon-General in Dec. 1915, and appointed to D.M.S., A.I.F. After organizing the A.A.M.C. in Egypt, he was attached to Headquarters, A.I.F., London. He became a K.C.B. in Jan. 1917, and K.C.M.G. in June, 1919.


Boer War VC index page

Site Home Page