The Franco-Prussian War Medal
(Medaille de 1870-1871)
Instituted in November 1911 for award to those with service in
the Franco-Prussian War, July 1870 to February 1871. The medal was
awarded to participants who held the combatants certificate, of
which it is believed 150,000 existed.
Description: bronze medal, obverse depicts the helmeted
effigy of 'la Republique', and in
the lower left quadrant the designers signature "Georges Lemaire". Reverse
shows (below the dates 1870-1871) a trophy of arms with Flag, and a
tablet inscribed "Aux Defenseurs de la Patrie." Three types exist: 30
mm diameter, a larger version at 36 mm, and an uncommon silver
variant. A ribbon bar is found for men who voluntarily enlisted, inscribed "Engage Volontaire"
Ribbon: green with four black vertical stripes.