War Office, March 5,1879.
The following Despatch has been received by  the Secretary of State for War from Lieutenant-General Lord Chelmsford, K.C.B., Commanding the Forces in South Africa:—

From Lieutenant General Lord Chelmsford, K.C.B., to the Right Honourable the Secretary of State for War.  

Pietermaritzburg, Natal, February 3, 1879.

1. SINCE the date of my last Despatch, I have received a copy of Colonel Pearson's report (No. 1 Column) on the occurrences of the 23rd January, when he defeated the Zulu forces with a loss of 300 killed. This report, addressed to his Excellency the High Commissioner, has been published for the information of the Colony, a copy of it I have the honour to enclose (marked A), likewise that furnished me by Admiral Sullivan from Captain Campbell. R.N., commanding Naval Brigade, with No. 1 Column (A A).
2. Colonel Wood (No. 4 Column), on the 24th January, dispersed the force of Zulus, with a loss of 50 men killed, that had been ordered to attack him. (Copy of his report attached, marked B). News of the events of the 22nd ultimo had been conveyed to Colonel Wood at Utrecht, with great readiness, by Captain Allan Gardner, 14th Hussars. This officer had escaped from the camp of No. 3 Column, after conveying orders to the officer commanding there," from Colonel Glyn, C.B., 12 miles distant. Colonel Wood, in consequence took up a position covering Utrecht.
3. On my arrival here, I at once directed Colonel Pearson to act as seemed best, without reference to my previous instructions. A copy of my telegram and his reply I forward marked B B.
4. The Zulus have, since the 24th ultimo, shown no signs of activity, and everything is, quiet along the border.
    I have no means of forming an opinion as to the reason of this. It is confidently stated  by some that it is only preparatory to further energetic action; others again, who claim to be well-informed from native sources, declare that
the losses inflicted on the Zulus at Isandhlwana alone were so enormous, as to make them disinclined to attack us again, unless they are fully assured they have an advantage.
    It must be remembered that since our crossing the frontier, the Zulus have been five times defeated, and always with loss.
5. I. append a return, showing the distribution of the forces under my command (marked C).
6. Colonel Pearson seems fully assured of his ability to hold his own against any number of Zulus. He has 1,200 British troops, with about 320 rounds per rifle and provisions for two months.
   Major Barrow, 19th Hussars, reports well of the position of the post and its healthiness. The water is close to and under fire of the fort, and is very good.
   The road to Ekowe from the Lower Tugela is reported by the same officer to be a good one, and with two exceptions the country is open.
    I, therefore, feel that with the force within reach of him at the Lower Tugela, Colonel Pearson is authorised to hold his present position. I proceed to-morrow to that place, when I shall be better able to form an opinion. as to the steps to be taken to organize the detachments at the Lower Tugela.
7. Of the seven battalions of Native-Contingent, all but three have disbanded themselves; these three have not been engaged. The conduct of the two battalions under Commandant Lonsdale with No. 3 Column, up to the day following the disaster to the camp, was all that I could wish; those, however, who knew the natives; foresaw that they would break up after hearing of the death of their chiefs (who had remained in camp on the 22nd ult.).- I cannot, therefore, count on retaining the services of any Native Contingent with the columns across the border, beyond those of some two or three hundred mounted men. I am still in hopes, however, that the authority of the Colonial Government, will be asserted, and will prove sufficient to fill up these battalions, the officers and non-commissioned officers of which are still on the frontier, where they will be available for frontier defence at least.
8. Such is the position of affairs in the Colony. Every effort will be made to procure reinforcements. Captain Buller, Rifle Brigade, one of my Aides-de-Camp, has starred for the Free State with a letter to the President from H.E. the High Commissioner, with the view of procuring mounted men, both white and black. A force of 200 mounted men is already being raised at Port Elizabeth, and a draft of 50 mounted men from the Capo Colony for the Frontier Light Horse, arrived yesterday.
9. Mr. Sprigg, the Colonial Secretary, Cape Colony, has shown every desire to assist us at this emergency; he despatched at once the three Companies of the 2nd Battalion 4th Regiment from Cape Town, they have arrived at Durban and are on their march here. The head quarters- and 4 companies of the 88th Regiment will shortly arrive from King William's Town, their place being taken by Volunteers.
10. Every effort will be made to reinforce Colonel Wood's Column, in view of enabling him to resume active operations from that side.
11. The refitting No. 3 Column will, of necessity, take some little time, as the road (160 miles) from this to Helpmakaar is very much cut up by the rains.
12. I have not yet received from Colonel Hassard, C.B., C.R.E., the proceedings of the Court of Enquiry ordered to assemble regarding the loss of the camp on the 22nd ultimo ; neither have I received from Colonel Glyn, C.B., Commanding No. 3 Column, an official list of the casualties on that occasion.
    I regret also to state that I am still without an official report from Colonel Glyn of the details of the gallant defence made on the 22nd and 23rd ultimo by the Company 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment of the post at Rorke's Drift.
I have, &c.,



From Colonel Pearson, Commanding No. 1 Column to the Military Secretary to His Excellency the High Commissioner.  

Etshowe  Zululand, January 23, 1879.

    I HAVE the honour to report my arrival here at 10 A.M. this day, with the column under my command, and, I am happy to state, without a casualty of any kind—except, of course, those which occurred in the engagement of yesterday, of which I have already duly informed you by telegram, despatched yesterday evening.
   Yesterday morning, the mounted troops which preceded the column under Major Barrow, had crossed the Inyezane River—which is about four miles from our camping ground on the previous night—when I received a note from him to say that he had selected a fairly open space for a halting place, which he had carefully vedetted. I at once rode forward, to reconnoitre, and found the ground covered with more bush than seemed desirable for an outspan ; but as there was no water between the Inyezane and the places where we bivouacked last night—four miles further on, and with several steep hills to climb—I decided upon outspanning for a couple of hours, to feed and rest the oxen, and to enable the men to breakfast.
    It was then just eight o'clock, and I was in the act of giving directions about the pickets and scouts required for our protection, and the wagons had already begun to park, when the leading company of the Native Contingent, who were scouting in front—personally directed by Captain Hart, Staff Officer to the Officer commanding that Regiment — discovered the enemy advancing rapidly over the ridges in our front, and making for the clumps of bush around us.
    The Zulus at once opened a heavy fire upon the men of the company who had shown themselves in the open, and they lost one officer, four non-commissioned officers, and three men killed, almost immediately after the firing began. Unfortunately, owing to scarcely any of the officers or non-commissioned officers of the Native Contingent being able to speak Kafir, and some not even English (there are several foreigners among them), it has been found most difficult to communicate orders, and it is to be feared that these men who lost their lives by gallantly holding their ground did so under the impression that it was the duty of the contingent to fight in the first line, instead of scouting only, and, after an engagement, to pursue.
   I must add, however, that every exertion has been made by Major Graves, Commandant Nettleton, and Captain Hart, to explain to both the officers and men the duties expected of them. These officers, indeed, have been indefatigable in their exertions.
   As soon as the firing commenced, I directed the Naval Brigade, under Commander Campbell, Lieutenant Lloyd's division of guns, and Captain Jackson's and Lieutenant Martin's companies of the Buffs, to take up a position on a knoll close by the road (and under which they were halted), and from whence the whole of the Zulu advances could be seen and dealt with.
   Meanwhile, the wagons continued to park, and as soon as the length of the column had thereby sufficiently decreased, I directed the two companies of the Buffs, which were guarding the wagons about half way down the column, to clear the enemy out of the bush, which had been already shelled, and fired into with rockets and musketry, by the troops on the knoll above-mentioned. These companies, led by Captains Harrison and Wyld, and guided by Captain Macgregor, D.A.Q.M.G., whom I sent back for this purpose, moved out in excellent order, and quickly getting into skirmishing order, brought their right shoulders gradually forward, and drove the Zulus before them back into the open, which again exposed them to the rockets, shells, and musketry from the knoll.
   This movement released the main body of the Mounted Infantry and Volunteers, who, with the Company of Royal Engineers, had remained near the Inyezane, to protect that portion of the convoy of wagons. -The Royal Engineers happened to be working at the drift when the engagement began.
   When thus released, both the Engineers and Mounted Troops, under Captain Wynne and Major Barrow, respectively moved forward with the infantry. Skirmishers on the left of the latter, the whole being supported by a half-company of the Buffs and a half-company of the 99th Regiment, sent out by Lieutenant-Colonel Welman, 99th Regiment, who with the rear of the column, was now coming up.
    About this time the enemy was observed by Commander Campbell lo be trying to outflank our left, and he offered to go with a portion of the Naval Brigade to drive away a body of Zulus who had got possession of a kraal about 400 yards from the knoll, and which was helping their turning movement. The Naval Brigade was supported by a party of the officers and non-commissioned officers of the Native Contingent, under Captain Hart, who were posted on high ground on the left of the Etshowe Road, and who checked the Zulus from making any further attempt on our left.
   Shortly afterwards, when the kraal was evacuated, Commander Campbell suggested that the enemy should be driven off still further, to which I at once assented, and I desired Colonel Parnell to take Captain Forster's company, the Buffs, which up to this time had remained at the foot of the knoll, and assist the Naval Brigade to attack some heights beyond the kraal, upon which a considerable body of Zulus were still posted.
   The action was completely successful, and the Zulus now fled in all directions, both from our front and left, and before the skirmishers on the right.
    I now ordered the column to be reformed, and at noon we resumed our march, and bivouacked for the night on the ground described in the first part of my letter.
   The last shot I fired was about half-past 9 A.M. I enclose a list of the killed and wounded, and, in addition, I beg to state that both Colonel Parnell and myself had our horses shot under us.
The loss of the enemy I can, of course, only approximately give. By all accounts, however — and I have taken every pains to verify and confirm the statements made—upwards of 300 Zulus were killed. The wounded, if there were any, were either carried off or hid in the bush, as only two were found. The dead were lying about in heaps of seven and eight, and in one place ten dead bodies were found close together. At another 35 were counted within a very small space.
    As far as I can ascertain, the numbers opposed to us were about 4,000, composed of the Umxapu, Umdhlanefu, and the Ingulubi Regiments, and some 650 men of the district.
    I had already been warned, through Mr. Fynney, Border Agent, and other sources, that I might expect to be attacked at any moment after crossing the Umsindusi River, but the number of Zulus stated to be in the neighbourhood was estimated at about 8,000.
    All the commanding officers speak highly of the behaviour of their men during the engagement, and of the coolness of the officers and the pains taken by them to control the expenditure of ammunition.
   This I can personally vouch for as regards troops on the knoll, as I was present with them the whole time. The practice made by Lieutenant Loyd's guns, and by the rockets of the Naval Brigade, directed by Mr. Cotter, boatswain of H.M.S. "Active," was  excellent, and no doubt contributed materially to the success of the day.
   Major Barrow particularly wishes me to mention the steadiness and good conduct under fire of the Natal Mounted Volunteer Corps. Those engaged were the Victoria and Stanger Mounted Rifles and the Natal Hussars.
    Of the commanding officers themselves I have already, spoken.
    From the officers of 017 staff, Colonel Walker J.B., Captain MacGregor, and Lieutenant knight, the Buffs,—my orderly officer—I have received every assistance, not only during yesterday's engagement, but ever since they joined me.
   I cannot speak too highly of the energy and attention to their duties of Staff-Surgeon Norbury, R.N., my Senior Medical Officer, and his assistants. The field hospital was established in a convenient place, almost immediately after the firing began, and the wounded received every attention.
  Lastly, I wish to report the good example shown to the Native Pioneers by Captain Beddoes and Lieutenant Porrington, who, throughout our march, under the direction of Lieutenant Main, R.E., repaired our road in front, and during the engagement remained on the knoll, fighting rifle in hand.
   I must apologise for the great length of this letter ; but as the present is the first campaign of British troops against the Zulus, and as the Natal natives were being tested as soldiers for the first time, I have purposely gone into details. Should we again be engaged with the enemy there will, of course, be no further necessity for describing everything so minutely.
  To-morrow morning I propose sending two companies of the Buffs, two companies of the Native Contingent, and a small number of mounted men, to reinforce Lieutenant-Colonel Ely, 99th Regiment, who, with three companies of his regiment, left behind for the purpose, is now on his way to Etshowe, with a convoy of 60 commissariat wagons.
   I have written to request Colonel Ely not to advance beyond the Umsindusi till reinforced.
  On Saturday, Major Coates starts for the Tugela with 50 empty wagons, escorted by four companies infantry, two native companies, and a few troopers to bring up more stores.
  I enclose a couple of sketches of the ground on which the engagement took place, made by Captain McGregor and Lieutenant Knight, from memory.
I have the honour to be, Sir,
Your most obedient servant,


Enclosure A A.

"Active," off Natal  

January 30,1879


         I HAVE the honour to forward Herewith a copy of the official report from Commander Campbell, Naval Brigade, of the action on 22nd instant for your information.
I have, &,
(Signed) P.W.SULLIVAN,

Lieutenant-General, The Lord Chelmsford, K.C.B., Commanding Forces.


Naval Brigade.  

Ekowe,  January 24,1879.

     I HAVE to acquaint you with the distribution of the Naval Brigade at this moment.
1. A and B Companies " Active," encamped here with 1st Division of No. 1 Column, also Gatling gun and crew, also rockets and their crews, also Royal Marines.
    The above march in 1st Division 1st Column, A and B Companies, in front "with" rockets, Marines and Gatling in rear, while marching three to four miles separate the front and rear of 1st Division, the interval being filled with wagons and other troops.
2. Sub-Lieutenant Heugh, with two 7-pr. guns and their crews are attached to the rear of the 2nd Division of No. 1 Column, they are here but occupy a different position.
3. The men of "Tenedos" except one who is attached to the " Active's " men, are stationed at Lower Tugela.
4. Staff-Surgeon Norbury, is Principal Medical Officer of the Column, and with Surgeon Thompson, 1 sick berth steward, 1 attendant, and 1 marine servant, are attached to the Field Hospital, the sick of the Naval Brigade are treated by them, as well as I believe the greater part of the 1st Division of the Column, they are encamped here.

Order of March for 1st Division of 1st Column generally preserved from Tugela to Ekowe.


Cavalry company








Cavalry. company








Detachment of Royal Engineers.
1 cart.
Half Company Natal Native Pioneers.
1 cart.
Royal Artillery.
2 Guns.
2 Companies Buffs.
A and B Companies Naval  Brigade, with 2 24-pr. rockets and crews.
Company Royal Engineers.
Rear Guard
3 Companies Native Contingent.
Gatling and crew.
Royal Marines.
2 Companies Buffs.


5. The 1st Division of the Column marched from the Tugela at 6 A.M. of 18th January, camping that night at Inyoni River.
    The 2nd Division was ordered to march at same time the following morning.
    On the afternoon of 19th the 1st Division camped north of Umsimdusi River, and was joined there by the 2nd Division.
    The 20th was spent preparing for the passage of the Matakula River.
    At 5 A.M. of 21st the whole Column, accompanied by 130 wagons with other vehicles, marched from camp, the whole day spent on the passage of the Matakula River, in evening encamped 4" ?? north of river.
    An expedition composed of half of the Naval Brigade, 2 Companies Buffs and other troops, destroyed a large military kraal 5" E. by S. of camp.

Order of March.

2 Companies Native Contingent.
1 Company 99th Regiment.
2 Companies Native Contingent.
2nd Division No. 1 Column.
20 Natal Native Pioneers.
2 Companies 99th Regiment.
1 Company Native Contingent.
1 Company Native Contingent.
2 7pr. Naval Brigade.
Guns with crews.
1 Company 99th Regiment.
2 Companies Native Contingent.
1 Company 99th Regiment.
2 Companies Native Contingent.

    22nd, 5 A.M. marched. After passing 5 miles along a fertile valley the path turns, suddenly to the left, and the ascent of the high land on which Ekowe is situated commences, the head of the column reached this turning, and was preparing to halt for breakfast, when it was suddenly attacked along the entire right flank and on both fronts by the enemy, who had evidently been lying concealed in the bushes; they boldly advanced to within 150 yards in extended order rushing from bush to bush and firing with great rapidity. Two 7-prs. Royal Artillery and two 24-prs. Naval Brigade rockets were placed on a knoll at the foot of the pass, but commanding the valley from which the flank attack was proceeding, these supported-by two companies of the Buffs and A and B Companies of Naval Brigade opened a heavy fire on the enemy, checking their advance. This knoll continued to be the head quarters of the column during the engagement.
   From head quarters to the head of the pass, the road or path to Ekowe leads along the top of a low ridge for about a mile; this ridge is commanded on both sides by two higher ridges running parallel to it and distant 800 to 1,000 yards. On these high ridges the enemy were posted in large numbers, they also occupied a position B, 300 yards from head quarters on the same ridge, and had commenced to open fire from this latter post when a well directed rocket from the Naval Brigade was driven right through the Kraal B instantly expelling the enemy.
6. Having been instructed to defend this part of the position I advanced A .and a part of B Companies of the " Active's" men in skirmishing order along the ridge above-described, leaving the remainder of B Company with the rockets, to assist in protecting the head quarter position, which throughout the day was exposed to an irritating fire from the bushes on the sides of a mountain opposite, as well as from the enemy in the plain, the colonel commanding having already had a horse killed under him.
7. My attention was now wholly directed to the advance along the ridge (see sec. 6, par. 1), along the top of which runs the track to Ekowe. Notwithstanding the heavy fire directed against our small party from front and both flanks, steady progress was made, and the enemy driven back step by step for about three-quarters of a mile, when he posted his troops for a final stand in a strong position perpendicular to the road parallel to which the Naval Brigade were slowly advancing. By this time four men of the Naval Brigade had been sent to the rear badly wounded, and another temporarily stunned by a bullet passing through his helmet, when the arrival of a company of Buffs under Colonel Parnell enabled the attack very rapidly to be pushed to within 100 yards of the Zulu position. A final rush was then made, headed by the Naval Brigade, and the position carried by assault. The first unmounted man in the enemy's position was Thomas Harding, Ordinary of H.M.S. " Active," closely followed by the remainder of A-Company, under Lieutenant Hamilton.
    Two other hills were carried as soon as the men had recovered breath, thus breaking through and driving back the right horn of the Zulu army, dispersing it in all directions, and clearing the road to Ekowe, along which the column shortly after advanced without molestation, camping for the night five miles south of that place.
   The action lasted nearly three hours, and resulted in the enemy being driven back on all sides with a loss of 300 dead; only one wounded Zulu was found on the field, so it is to be presumed the wounded were removed by their companions.
   The loss of Europeans in the engagement was eight killed and sixteen wounded, one of whom has since died.; out of the killed six were officers or non-commissioned officers of the Native Contingent; these men fought, as far as came under my notice, with great bravery, being, of course, unsupported by their men, one out of ten of whom only have fire-arms, while the Zulus appear all to be possessed of them.
    I enclose the reports of Lieutenant Dowding, commanding Royal Marine Light Infantry, and Midshipman Coker, in charge of the Gatling, both of whom were placed so far in rear that I had up opportunity of observing their movements.
    It is with greatest gratification I report the splendid behaviour of the Naval Brigade in action of 22nd instant; all were remarkably steady under fire; those employed on the ridge were exposed to a cross fire for nearly two hours, after which they responded to my call for the final assault with alacrity, and led the rush till success was secured.
  I particularly recommend Lieutenant Hamilton, whose company was in front during the action.
  Sub-Lieutenant Fraser also did good service in command of the Reserve, being under fire the whole time. Boatswain Cotter was most successful with the rockets I placed in his charge.
  Lieutenant Craigie, Gunnery Lieutenant, rendered valuable services as Acting Adjutant.
  Ekowe was reached early on 23rd, and the head quarters are expected to remain for eight or ten days before any further advance is made.
  200 men marched in the direction of the Tugela this morning, and 400 more leave tomorrow, to escort convoys; reports have reached that attacks have been made on these.
  The force lately beaten, by the 1st Division of the Column are said to be assembled in the bush at Umlatoo River, there to attack us on advancing. It seems probable that they will not be dispersed without some loss on our side. The Zulus seem adepts at skirmishing, always in extended order; they rush from one bush to another, delivering their fire, and then retiring under cover to load. It requires a good marksman to bring them down. Nothing like the masses of men spoken of as composing their armies has been seen, and they show no disposition to meet us in the open, but confine themselves to taking us at a disadvantage as on the 22nd instant.
  The enemy have unfortunately carried off the six Martini-Henry rifles and ammunition of the Europeans of the Native Contingent killed; doubtless these will be used against us with effect in the next action.
I trust my proceedings may meet your approval.
I have &c.,
 Commanding Naval Brigade.

I beg to recommend to your notice, E. White, Principal Officer First Class, who continued to fight after having been struck by a ball. E. Futcher, Principal Officer First Class, took a leading part in the movements.
Thomas Harding, Ordinary, the first unmounted man in enemy's position.



Inyezana, January 23, 1879.

    I HAVE the honour to report that in accordance with orders, I marched the Marines from the camping ground near the Amatikulu, on the morning  of the 22nd inst. in rear of the Gatling gun.
After marching about; 2½ hours we heard rapid firing commencing at the front of the column; almost at the same instant an officer of the Native Contingent rode up to me, reporting that the enemy were in large numbers on our right. Immediately told Captain Forster of the Buffs, who was in command of the rear guard.
    He ordered us to extend on the right flank of the wagons, at the same time the Gatling gun was brought into action. I advanced the Marines in line with a Company of the Buffs under Captain Foster, but owing to the height of the reeds and bush we only occasionally got a glimpse of the enemy about 400 yards in front of us, and apparently, in large numbers. They appeared to be trying to get round the rear of the column. I was able occasionally to open fire at them on arriving at the edge of the reeds.
   After advancing in this way about a quarter of a mile, we found another company of the Buffs, moving from the front of the column, and some 300 yards to our front. I therefore at once moved  my men back on the Gatling gun, and made my way at once to the Head Quarter Staff, and reported my arrival to Colonel Pearson.
    He ordered Mr. Coker to bring up the Gatling gun at once. I was told to place my men at the top of the hill to the left of the Gatling gun, when I at once opened fire on the enemy, who were keeping up a fairly continuous fire in our direction. The Gatling gun shortly opening fire on our right; after about a quarter of an hour Mr. Craigie rode up with half of " B " Company, saying he had orders to bring up the rest of the Naval Brigade to support " A" Company, and as the Gatling gun was now well guarded, I at once joined him with the Marines.
   We moved rapidly along to the kraal on the top of the hill that had been already taken, where we found the remainder of" B " Company, keeping up a continuous fire at the enemy on our left, and then advanced on the main road, up a steep hill, until we joined Mr. Hamilton's men.
   The men behaved well and steadily under fire. The marching at the commencement in extended order being very heavy through the thick bush and reeds.
   The amount of ammunition expended was between 500 and 600 rounds.
I have, &c.
Lieut. Comdg. R. Marines.
H.M.S." Active "

A. Campbell, R.N., Comdg. Naval Brigade.



Inyezana, January 23, 1879.

   I HAVE the honor to report I was placed in rear of the leading column with Gatling gun. About two and a half hours after leaving the camping grounds, the head of the column was engaged. A report having come in that the Natives were threatening the rear of the column, I placed my gun on a hill, in a good position for firing if necessary.
   I brought my gun into action, but through the clumsiness of my driver, my disselboom carried away. I repaired it as quickly as possible; no natives appearing, I moved on with the wagons; owing to the disselboom I was very much delayed.
    On arriving at the foot of the hill, where the head quarters were, I was ordered by Colonel Pearson to bring, the gun up and place it opposite a hill where some natives had taken up a position.
    I immediately opened, fire on them, they retiring into the bush I ceased firing, having expended, about 300 rounds, and stationed my men to try and pick off a few natives who were annoying us considerably.
    The men behaved well under fire and worked hard to bring the gun into action.
I have, &c.
(Signed) LEWIS C. COKER.


Enclosure B.  

Fort Tnta, 9 a.m., 25/1/79.

       I fear you will not be able to gather where No. 4 Column has been from any of the maps, as all are inaccurate.
   After, clearing the Tunguin Range, on the 22nd, the Zulus retiring hastily leaving cattle and sheep as already reported, the Column halted on the 23rd, the Artillery having had with the F. L. Horse hard work, while the 90th Light Infantry were 19 hours under arms in 24.
    The F. L. Horse had scarcely been off-saddled for 48 hours
    Yesterday, the 24th, the Column moved in the direction of the road indicated in Durnsford's map, as passing between the Tunguin's Nek and Ityenteka Range. It is perhaps needless to
state that the track has been termed a road because a few wagons have at some time passed over it.
     About 7.30 a.m., when the Column had marched eight miles, some Zulus ran forward towards a stony hill in our front, but were anticipated by Colonel Buller with a troop of the F.L. Horse. The morning was misty, and our advance was apparently unperceived, as the Zulus were only forming up when two guns opened on them, and caused them to scatter in all directions.
    Finding we could not advance where our guide thought the track existed, I ordered the Column to turn to the left and pass round a high hill on our left, and there outspan.
    Before I reached this position, however, the 90th Light Infantry, with 2 guns, moved down into a valley and up the opposite hill, on which the Zulus fled hastily, the F. L. Horse and Mr. P. Uy's men pursuing them.
    It was at this time I received the first intimation of the Zulu attack on No. 3 Column camp, and I therefore halted for 2½ hours, and then retraced our steps towards the Umvolosi, where the column arrived at 7 a.m. this day.
     I append a return of the casualties, and I believe about 50 Zulus were killed from the different bodies, counting 10 in one group, 15 in another, 6 in another, while 5 men were killed by one shell, besides single men.
    As I learn from Colonel Crealock's letter, No. 3 Column will go Helpmakaar, I shall move tomorrow, to wards the Ugaba Ka Hawane, in the kloofs of which I hope to get wood, and where I shall be in position to cover Utrecht, and yet able to move towards the Bagalususi.
    You may probably know, but I think it well to inform you, that the force attacking No. 3 Column camp was composed of Ubonambi, Umcetya, Undi, .Nodwengu and Takobamakosi regiments, commanded by, as No. 1, Umdabulamanzi, Cetewayo's brother, second senior Urnbumengwana, third senior Fatyingwayo.
    Unsebe commanded the 3,000 to 4,000 men who yesterday fled before No. 4 Column, which they had undertaken to attack.
    If No. 3 Column is to be stationary some time I should be glad of the loan, of all its horsemen, as if I can burn the Bagalususi Kraal the effect in North Zulu-land will be good.


B.B.     Telegram.From Lord Chelmsford to Colonel Pearson, Lower  Tugela Drift.  

Pietermaritzburg, 27th January, 1879.

    CONSIDER all my instructions as cancelled, and act in whatever manner you think most desirable in the interests of the Column under your command. Should you consider the Garrison of Ekowe as too far advanced to be fed with safety, you can withdraw it. Hold, however, if possible, the post on the Zulu side of Lower Tugela. You must be prepared to have the whole Zulu force down upon you. Do away with tents, and let the men take shelter under the wagons, which will then be in position for defence and hold so many more supplies.

The following is an answer to the above telegram:—

From Lieut. Kingscote, Tugela, to Lord Chelmsford, Pietermaritzburg.
    WHEN your telegram arrived at 11 A.M. yesterday, I assembled Commanding Officers, and we determined to hold our ground here. At once sent off mounted men and two battalions Native Contingent to Lower Tugela. Hope both reached there early this morning; this will give us more food and ammunition. Colonel Ely's convoy arrived last night; had to abandon seven wagons about seven miles from here—six with food, one with forage—
disselbooms broken, oxen dead-beat, &c. The oxen were brought on; remainder of convoy— seventy-two wagons—arrived safely. All food and ammunition off loaded and under cover. So many oxen of convoy a great nuisance;  laagered some and put remainder into ditch. Will try to improve matters to-day.
   We are already well entrenched, but shall work away till we are safe at every corner.
    My only fear is the water not lasting: making every effort to economise it.


Return of Troops.  

Pietermaritzburg.—1 Company 88th Foot, Fort Napier; 1 Company General Depot; 1 Company Natal Native Pioneers — Lieutenant-Colonel Hopton.

Greytown.—3 Companies 2nd Battalion 4th  Regiment—Major Twentyman.

Helpmakaar.—2 Companies 1st Battalion 24th Foot; 2 Companies 2nd Battalion 24th Foot; N Battery, 5th Brigade Royal Artillery (4 guns)—Colonel Hassard, C.B.

Helpmakaar.—1 Squadron Mounted Infantry; Natal Mounted Police, 1 Troop;  Natal Carbineers, ½ Troop;  Newcastle Mounted Rifles, Buffalo Border Guards, ½ Troop;  2nd Battalion 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent—Lieutenant-Colonel Russell.

Rorke's Drift.—No. 5 Company Royal Engineers, 7 Companies 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment— Colonel Glyn, C.B.

Krantz Kop.—1st Battalion 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent, 3rd Battalion 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent, 3rd Battalion Natal Native Pioneers—Captain Barton.

Durban.—½ Company 99th Regiment, 1 Troop Mounted Volunteers—Major Huskisson.

Stanger. —1½ Companies 99th Regiment—Major Walker.

Lower Tugela, Fort Pearson, Camp right bank— ½ Company 99th Regiment; Guns. 1 12-pounder; No. 2 Squadrons Mounted Infantry; Natal Hussars, ½ Troop; Durban Mounted Rifles, 1 Troop; Alexandra Mounted Rifles, 1 Troop; Stanger Mounted Rifles, 1 Troop; Victoria Mounted Rifles, 1 Troop—Major Barrow.

Fort Tenedos, left bank—2½ Companies 99th Regiment; 2 Companies Buffs; Naval Brigade (43); 1 12-pounder gun.

Ekowe—6 Companies 2nd Battalion 3rd Regiment; 3 Companies 99th Regiment; Naval Brigade 128, 2 7-pounders, 1 Gatling, 1 rocket tube; Royal Artillery (23) 2 7-pounder muzzle loading guns; No. 2 Company Natal Native
Pioneers—Colonel Pearson.

Ekowe—Royal Artillery 1st Battalion 13th Regiment Light Infantry; 90th Regiment Light Infantry; Frontier Light Horse, 2 Squadrons; Wood's Irregular Natives—Colonel E. Wood, V.C., C.B.


RETURN of such Casualties as have been officially reported up to date, from 12th to 24th January, 1879.

12th January, 1879, at Isipezi.

Privates Two, N.N.C.
Lieutenant Purvis, N.N.C.
Corporal Mayor, N.N.C.
Private Twelve, N.N.C.

18th January, 1879, in Zululand, on march with Colonel Wood's column.
Private Jack, Wood's Irregulars.
Private Slanyola, Wood's Irregulars.

20th January, 1879, in Zululand, on march with Colonel Wood's column.
Trooper J. Berry, F.L. Horse.
Trooper Randall, F.L. Horse.

22nd January, 1879, at Inyanzani.
Private J. Bough, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot.
Private J. Kelleher, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot.
Lieutenant J. L. Raines, N.N.C.
Lieutenant G. Platterer, N.N.C.
Sergeant Emil Unger, N.N.C.
Corporal W. Tieper, N.N.C.
Corporal E. Miller, N.N.C.
Corporal Carl Goesch, N.N.C.
Private Peter Dunn, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot, since dead.
Private J. Corteel, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot.
Private F. Smith, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot.
Private F. Clifford, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot.
Private H. Walker, 2nd Battalion 3rd Foot
Quartermaster - Sergeant Kelly, Musketry- Instructor, 90th Foot.
Private W. Devenport, Musketry Instructor, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
H. Gosling, A.B., Naval Brigade.
G. Berryman, O.S., Naval Brigade.
G. Doran, O.S., Naval Brigade.
T. Butler, A.B., Naval Brigade.
E. White, O.S., Naval Brigade.
Krooman, Jack Ropeyarn, O.S., Naval Brigade
Ducklewis, O.S., Naval Brigade.
Lieutenant H. Webb, N.N.C.
Sergeant O. Aeydenburg, N.N.C.

22nd January, 1879, Isandhlwana.
Colour-Sergeant M. C. Keane, Staff Clerk to Military Secretary.
Farrier Wright, Army Service Corps.
Sergeant Thompson, 80th Foot.
Private Fitzpatrick, 25th Foot.
Private Williamson, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
Private Watson, 31st Foot.
Private Hughes, 1st Battalion 24th Foot.
Signalman Aynesley, Royal Navy.
Mr. Laparra, General's Cook.
All attached to the personal Staff of the Lieutenant-General as servants.

23rd January, at Rorke's Drift.
Private Beckett, 1st Battalion 24th Foot, since dead.
Private J. Waters, 1st Battalion 24th Foot
Sergeant T. Williamson, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot
Corporal J. Lyons, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
Corporal W. Allon, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
Private Hitch, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
Private Jones, 2nd Battalion 24th Foot.
Private Scammen, N.N.C.
Private F. Seliess, N.N.C.

24th January, at Zuukem Nek.
Private Budenback, Dutch Contingent.
Private Jelloame, Dutch Contingent.

Pietermaritzburg, Natal, 2nd February, 1879.

The Principal Medical Officer's return of nature of wound not received up to time of closing the Despatch.

Site Home Page

Guide to British Medals
Index Page