Margin Note.
* Artillery, 1 officer, 35 men— total 36; two 7-pounder guns. 24th Regiment, 2 officers, 113 men—total 115. Marines, 1 officer, 22 men—total 23. 88th. Regiment, 2 officers, 2 men—total 4, Frontier Armed Mounted Police, 2 officers, 69 men—total 71. Fingoes, 2 officers 700 men—total 702, or thereabouts.

War Office, February 22, 1878.
DESPATCHES and their enclosures, of which the following are copies, have been received by the Secretary of State for War, from General Sir A. Cunynghame, K.C.B., Commanding
the troops in South Africa :—
From General Sir A. Cunyngkame, K.C.B., to the Right Honourable the Secretary of State for War.  
  Ibeka Transkei, January 7, 1878.

     I HAVE the honour to enclose to you, a despatch from Lieutenant-Colonel Lambert, 88th Regiment, now commanding at the Komgha, informing me that on the 29th and 30th ultimo, small bodies of troops that he had sent to clear the road for the postal service, had been attacked by the enemy, whom they had signally defeated.
     Lieutenant-Colonel Lambert encloses reports from Brevet-Major Moore, 88th Regiment, who is now employed as second in command of the Colonial Frontier Armed and Mounted Police, and who on both occasions took command conjointly of that portion of his force which was employed, and also of the detachment 88th Regiment who were in the field. The young soldiers of the 88th appear to have behaved excellently, and their officers to have shown steadiness and judgment. I cannot speak too highly of the conduct of Brevet-Major Moore, who by all present is reported to have shown the most conspicuous gallantry, and which would have been more fully brought to light, had he not been himself the reporting officer upon his own deeds. I have every belief that the success of this really hazardous encounter, is in a very great degree due to his energy and talents as an officer.
    I have caused further enquiry to be made, from those who evidenced the transactions, upon this subject, and I will not fail to bring the particulars of his conduct to your notice, for from what I hear, I believe, you will deem him worthy of your especial consideration.
- I have &c.,


From Lieutenant-Colonel Lambert, 88th Connaught Rangers, Commanding at Komgha, to Deputy-Adjutant-General, King Williamstown.

Komgha, January 2,1878.

      I HAVE the honour to forward, for the information of His Excellency the Commander of the Forces, the enclosed reports from Major Moore, 88th Connaught Rangers, of skirmishes which took place between the troops, under my command and the Kaffirs on the 29th and 30th ultimo.
1. At 2.15 P.M. on the 30th, the report of firing arms being heard in camp, I sent a reinforcement of 50 men, 88th Connaught Rangers, under Lieutenant Mann.
2. I started at once in the direction of Draaibosch, and was joined on the road by Sub-Inspector Waring, .Frontier Armed and Mounted Police, who had most promptly got together the available men left in barracks.
3. On arriving  at Savage's Shop, I found Captain Acklom's men had retired there, but  hearing of the approach of -more troops, had returned to their old position on the hill, where I ordered them to remain.
4. When Lieutenant Mann's party arrived, I pushed it forward to the hill overlooking Draaibosch, then I despatched the Mail Bags with the escort of 10 men that had joined me with Sub-Inspector Waring.
5. The escort got safely to Gray's Farm, rejoined before we reached Komgha.
6. I retired by the high ground the north of the road, the direction from which the attack was made; large bodies of Kaffirs were visible on the crests of the distant hills, mounted as well as footmen.
7. Major Moore states in para. 12,  "that the firing was wild"; I would explain that some of the men engaged had never fired, and that others had only been put through a recruit's course, which was carried on at Athlone during winter months under great disadvantages.
8. I consider that Major Moore has underestimated the loss on the enemy's side on the 30th, as I heard to-day from reliable authority, that over 50 men are missing in the kraals from which this attack was made, in addition to many wounded.
9. Private McGreavy, one of the men said to be missing, reported himself at Kei Road with two men of Frontier Armed Mounted Police, on 1st instant.
10. Private McGranegan, the other missing man, reported that he felt weak; was allowed by Dr. McCartney to ride in the Scotch cart which accompanied the party; then the men formed for attack, he was ordered to fall in; no one can give any account of him after that.
11. I went out this morning with 80 men in direction of Draaibosch, in the hopes of recovering his body. I searched the kloof which sides for some distance round where the fight took place, but could find no trace of it,
12. I then proceeded to the scene of the skirmish of the previous day, and found the body of Policeman Giesse ; it was interred on the spot, the service being read by Major Moore; the sons of the deceased, who had come up from East London, were present.
13. I consider Major Moore's skirmish oh 'the afternoon of the 29th was of the greatest service, as it was undoubtedly the means of drawing off a large body of Kaffirs, who had posted themselves on the hill on this side of Draaibosch, with the intention of tracking a convoy of wagons outspanned there that morning from Kei Road. A commissariat horse belonging to Deputy Commissary General Strickland's train was captured, and they showed such evident signs of attacking, that Lieutenant Wood, commanding the escort 88th, posted a chain of sentries. When the report of  firing was heard, the Kaffirs withdrew, and I have little doubt that the last force met by Major Moore as he was advancing towards Draaibosch were the same men, and that this incident saved the convoy.
14. I cannot close my report without directing special attention to the bravery and gallant conduct of Major Moore, both on the 29th and 30th.
      On the 29th he rallied a few Frontier Mounted Police, and made a desperate, though unsuccessful attempt to save the life of Policeman Giesse; he was wounded severely in the arm with an assegai, and his horse also incurred a severe wound. Had he been properly supported by his men, his gallant effort would have probably had a different result. On the 30th the conduct of this officer was beyond all praise, and the theme of high commendation with everyone. The mere handful of young soldiers could only have been made to stand as firmly as they did, by such conspicuous courage and cool daring as Major Moore showed during the whole of this action:  the least wavering would have been fatal.
Major Moore's horse on this occasion received three gunshot wounds, and had in consequence to be destroyed.
I have, &c.,
(Signed) W. LAMBERT, Lieutenant-Colonel
Commanding 88th Regiment, and Troops, Komgha.


From Brevet-Major Moore, 88th Regiment Frontier Armed Mounted Police, to Lieutenant-Colonel W. Lambert, Commanding Troops.

Camp, Komgha, December 31, 1877

1. I HAVE the honour to report, that in compliance with your orders I started from this on the 29th instant, at 1 P.M., with a patrol of 32 non-cominissioned officers and men, Frontier Armed Mounted Police, and Sub-Inspector Mitchell, in the direction of Draaibosch, near which place the postriders carrying the mail to Kei Road, same forenoon, had been fired on and forced to return to Komgha.
2. About 4 miles from Komgha I turned off the road to the right, and passing by the ruins of De Cock's house, which had been burned by Kaffirs a few hours before, advanced cautiously with patrols thrown out, to the top of a neighbouring hill, on the further slope of which, among large boulders, were posted a number of Kaffirs, with guns and assegais.
3. I was with the advanced, party, and called upon the Kaffirs nearest to me to lay down their arms: in reply a shot was fired at us by a man 30 or 40 yards off, and others quickly followed.
4. The troop having come up presently, I ordered the men to dismount, and half to skirmish. The Kaffirs, about 100 in number, then began to run down the slope towards the Kabousie, followed for a short direction by our skirmishers.
5. We then mounted, and took up a commanding position about a mile nearer the Draaibosch, from which we could see another party of Kaffirs coming from the direction of the Kabousie, with the intention, apparently, of getting round our left.
6. Having again dismounted and commenced skirmishing, the enemy retired in haste towards the river.
7. We then turned away sharp to the left, towards Draaibosch, in order to gain, according to your order, a detachment of 40 men, 88th. Regiment, under Lieutenant Wood, who were escorting ammunition wagons to Komgha.
8. About, two miles from the ruins of Macdonald's Canteen, our right patrol came upon a body of about 300 Kaffirs, who were advancing in our direction; the troop was ordered to dismount to receive them, but after firing a few shots, retired. The Kaffirs followed up, and having overtaken one man, Private Giesse, who was dismounted, and dragging his horse after him, killed him with assegais, despite the efforts of a few to rescue him. I grieve to say we were unable to recover the body, greatly outnumbered as we were.
9. The enemy afterwards came to a halt, and about a mile from Savage's Shop, were met by Deputy Commissary-General Strickland, Assistant Commissary Richardson, and Lieutenant Wood, who had heard the firing from Draaibosch, where they had outspanned.
10. We then accompanied the ammunition wagons and detachment 88th Regiment, to Komgha, without molestation. Commandant Cowie, who accompanied me throughout, and Sub-Inspector Mitchell, did good service; Dr. Clinton, in medical charge; Colour- Sergeant Harbor and Corporal Court, frontier Armed Mounted Police, behaved gallantly in attempting to rescue Private Giesse when surrounded by Kaffirs. Sergeant Harbor further distinguished himself by halting when the enemy were within a few yards, and taking up behind him Private Martindale, "whose horse had broken loose, thus saving him from sharing the fate of Private Giesse. Five of the enemy were seen to drop, including three who were pistoled in the melee round Private Giesse. There may have been over and
above this number accounted for.
I have, &c.,
(Signed) H. J. MOOEE, Brevet-Major,
88th Connaught Rangers, 2nd in Command Frontier Armed Mounted Police.



NOMINAL ROLL of Killed and Wounded at Camp Komyha, December 29, 1877.  
  Camp Komyha, December 29, 1877.

Frontier Armed Mounted Police.
Private Geisse, killed.

88th Connaught Rangers.
Brevet-Major J. D. G. Moore, severely wounded.

Civil Surgeon Clinton, slightly wounded.

(Signed) J CLINTON, Surgeon in Charge.

RETURN of Horses, Killed and Wounded on 29th December, 1877.
Brevet-Major Moore's wounded slightly.
Commandant Cowie's, bullet wound.
Colour-Serjeant Harbor's, wounded twice.

(Signed) H. J. MOORE, Brevet-Major Frontier Armed & Mounted Police.


From Major Moore; 88th Connaught Rangers, Frontier Armed Mounted Police, to Lieut-Colonel Lambert, Commanding Troops; Komgha.  
  Komgha., December 31,1877.

1.  I HAVE the honour to report that in obedience to your orders, I left Komgha yesterday at 11 A. M., with 40 men 88th Regiment, under Captain Acklom, and 21 Frontier Armed Mountedd Police, under Sub-Inspector White, for the purpose of escorting the Mail from the Transkei past Draaibosch, the post drivers on the previous day having made three unsuccessful attempts to carry it through to Gray's Farm.
2. As we proceeded, the enemy's scouts were liable at many points on the ridge tops on both sides of the road, but chiefly on those of the north
3. We advanced with great caution, the mounted patrols being thrown out to front, rear, and flanks.
4. When we approached Savage's Shop, six miles from Komgha, large bodies of Kaffirs were seen mustered about a mile to our right, i.e., north.
5. I was at that time just about to halt the Infantry and ride on to Gray's Farm with the bags and mounted escort. Fearing an attack I selected a good defensive position on the crown of a hill about half-a-mile beyond Savage's Shop, and close to the road.
6. I then extended the Infantry behind some broken ground, with half the police dismounted prolonging to the right; the remainder of the police holding the horses, and the ammunition, carts were posted in the rear.
7. We were not kept long in suspense, as to the enemy's intention, for by the time our arrangements were completed, about 600 footmen and 50 mounted men (the latter took no part in the action) were seen advancing rapidly and in perfect order.
8. At about 500 yards we opened fire, and the bullocks ran off with bur ammunition cart to our rear. The enemy continued to advance, and detached large bodies to both flanks, chiefly to our right, some men also getting to our rear, into whose hands the ammunition cart fell.
9. The fight lasted from 2.15 to 3.45 P.M., bodies of the enemy being within assegai-range, but of these very few were thrown, nearly all the Kaffirs opposed to us being armed with guns and rifles.
10. Our ammunition, of which the troops carried 40 rounds, beginning to fall short, matters were becoming critical, and we were obliged to have recourse to frequent bayonet charges, before which the enemy always gave way, we were careful to keep fast hold of the hill-top, and the Kaffirs at length began to retire from all sides, leisurely making their way in the direction from which they came.
11. We then commenced our march back, but on reaching Savage's Shop, hearing reinforcements were at hand, we halted: you (?) with 50 men 88th Regiment, and about 15 mounted volunteers from Komgha, arrived about half an hour afterwards, i.e., 4.45. P.M.
12. The Connaught Rangers, boys though they are —  not one of them had ever seen an enemy before — and some of the Frontier Armed Mounted Police, behaved admirably well, they repelled attack after attack from large bodies advancing in every direction, charging with a cheer when called on, and held final possession of the well-contested hill-top.
13. Their fire, however, was very mild, to which may be attributed the small number of the enemy accounted for. Of these 9 bodies were counted, but many more, and all the wounded, had been carried away during the several times the Kaffirs had over-run.
14. I have to deplore the large number of casualties among men and horses on our side, but I believe nothing could be done on our part by which they might have been lessened.
15. Captain Acklom was always on the fore front whenever an attack had to be repelled, or a body of the enemy dislodged, and he displayed sound judgment throughout.
16. 2nd Lieutenant Acton who had joined the service only a few days ago, showed great coolness, as did also Sub-Inspector White. Surgeon MacCartney, in medical charge, zealously performed his duties with the wounded under a heavy fire.
17. I have also to thank Deputy Commissary Warneford, Mr. White, Magistrates Clerk, whose coolness and courage were conspicuous, and Mr. Barnet, of Pagots Hotel, who fought throughout as volunteers.
I have, &c.,
(Signed) H. J. MOORE, Brevet-Major
88th Connaught Rangers, and 2nd in Command Frontier Armed Mounted Police.

NOMINAL RETURN of Killed and Wounded on 30th December, 1877.  
  Camp, Komgha, 31st December, 1877

88th Connaught Rangers.
748 M. Keane, killed.
1110 J. Ford, severely wounded
1116. T. Brown, dangerously wounded.
383 J. Nugerhoffer; missing.
891 T. McGrery, missing.

Frontier Armed Mounted Police.
J. Meyhopter, killed.

(Signed) H. J. MOORE, Brevet-Major 88th Regiment.
(Signed) J. CLINTON", Surgeon in charge.

RETURN of Horses Killed, Wounded, and Missing on 30th December, 1857.
88th Connaught Rangers.
Brevet-Major Moore's, wounded.
Frontier Armed Mounted Police.
Inspector White's ; Turner's ;  Headly's, wounded.
Stokes's;  Meyhopter's; Corporal Christmas's, missing.

Army Medical Department.
Surgeon McCartney's, Missing.
Commissary Warneford's, Killed.

Mr. White's, killed.
Mr. Barnett's, missing.

(Signed) H.J.MOORE,
Brevet-Major, 88th Regt. and Frontier Armed Mounted Police.


From General Sir Arthur Cunynghame, K.C.B., to the Right Honourable the Secretary of State for War.  
  The Camp, Ibeka, Trans Kei, January 15, 1878.
       I HAVE the honour to inform you that I arrived here, at Ibeka, in Galekaland, on the 25th December, 1877, and that on the evening of the 26th, the last of the troops which I had collected for services here, reached this camp.
    Early on the morning of the 27th, my forces, divided into three columns, advanced.
I enclose a full account of the operations which were performed by Colonel Glyn, in two separate letters, dated respectively, A, January 5, B, January 12.
    The strength of these various forces I have previously enclosed. You will see by these reports that Galekaland has been entirely freed of the enemy as a body.
   In consequence of information that I received that Gaikas in some strength had taken up a position on the Kei River, I directed Colonel Glyn and the larger portion of his troops to move upon Ibeka, having previously ordered a column, commanded by Major Hopton, of the 88th Regiment, to move from a position which they held near the Manubie Forest, to the Quintana Mountain.
    The services of Major Hopton having been earnestly requested in the Cathcart District, I directed him to proceed there, and Major Owen, 88th Regiment, to relieve him. This was particularly unfortunate for so good an officer as Major Hopton, for the column which he commanded came into action on the following day.
    Towards the termination of Colonel Glyn's operations in the eastern portion of Galekaland, he twice went up and down the Bashea River,  keeping on its western bank, as I had given him orders not to cross, unless an imperative military necessity should arise to cause him to do so, and I desired to keep his column in hand, so that I might have the power of using its services on the western portion of Galekaland. The sequel proved that I judged correctly. According to my orders, he reached Ibeka on his return on the evening of the 18th.
   Early on the morning of the 13th, he started with his column for Quintana, arriving at that mountain at about 2 o'clock. Hardly had he halted, when he received information that a very large force of the enemy was collecting on the mountain sides, between Major Owen's column and the river Kei.
    Without refreshment, he instantly fell in his troops and proceeded to the front, in support of Major Owen's column, and taking command of the whole.
     I desire to say but a few words upon this action at present, because Colonel Glyn's official report concerning it has not reached me: but I enclose to you a copy of telegrams which I sent to His Excellency the Governor concerning it, given to me by two of my staff officers who were present.
    Colonel Glyn's official report you will receive by the next mail.
    The conduct of Colonel Glyn, Major Owen, the officers and men of this force, both that of Her Majesty's Army and Navy and the Colonial troops, would appear to have been excellent.
     I have made further dispositions for attacking the enemy with a force commanded by Colonel Lambert, 88th Regiment, now stationed between, the Komgha and the Chechaba Valley.
     I have made arrangements for doing so this day, but as the post leaves Ibeka within one hour, I am unable to give you the result of any movement which may be taking place upon the other side of the Kei river, acting in combination with the forces on this side.
     I have the honour to enclose a list of the names of those wounded in the action of the 13th of January.
I have, &c.,
A. J. CUNYNGHAME, General.


From General Cunynghame, Ibeka, to His Excellency the Governor, King William's Town, January 14,1878.
      Two columns of the Transkei Force came into action yesterday afternoon, Major Owen Commanding that in advance, Colonel Glyn at first in support, commanding the whole. They advanced towards the enemy about four miles south west of the Quintana mountain; the enemy met them in a determined way, and an action ensued, which lasted from about 4.30 till 6 o'clock; the number of enemy estimated at from 1,000  to 1,200; eventually the enemy was completely routed, and driven back towards the Kei, losing 50 men, our casualties being five wounded, two severely; guns and rockets well served and effective. Further reports will be sent.

January 14, 1878.
The four wounded men of the action of yesterday of the 88th Regiment are close to camp, 1 slightly, 3 severely, but great hopes are entertained of the recovery of even the worst case, a bad wound in the thigh. Lieutenant Loring, Naval aide-de-camp, and Lieutenant Coghill, aide-de-
, were present at the action; the 7-pounder gun practice and the 9-pounder rocket practice was excellent, the 24-pounder rockets did great execution; 50 dead bodies of the enemy were counted after the action; there must be many more killed in the kloofs by the bursting of shells and rockets. The conduct
of the commanders, the officers, non-commissioned officers and men of all services was steady and soldier-like. The enemy held their ground for three quarters of an hour; then retreating, were pursued, till darkness obliged the troops to return; the action was about an hour and a-half duration.

Return of Kliled and wounded near Chichaba, on January 13, 1878.

88th Regiment.
1634 Private Jeremiah Murphy, severely wounded.
1422 Private Robert Seavers, dangerously wounded.
1305 Private John Kelly, dangerously wounded.
1630 Private James McMahon, slightly wounded.

Native Levies.
A Fingoe, severely wounded.

Deputy Surgeon-General, P.M.O.



Camp near Malam's Station. January 5, 1878.

1. I HAVE the honour to report that on the 27th December, 1877, the various columns composing the Transkei Field Force under my command, marched from Ibeka and the Springs.
27th December, 1877. The Head Quarter Column encamped the first day about four miles beyond the Umzinzana, at the head of the Nxaxa
2. At this station I found Captain Robinson's (of the Royal Artillery) Detachment who had cleared the Quora up to that point (vide previous despatch). Commandant Allan Maclean arrived that night, having made a successful patrol down the banks of the Kei along the sea coast, and up the banks of the Kobonaba, not having seen anything of the enemy.
3. 28th December, 1877. I next day marched to the Luzezi, where I received despatches from Majors Hopton and Elliott, commanding respectively the right and Bashee Columns.
4. The former reported having patrolled the Unyanime Valley, the latter, although opposed by the enemy in force, had pushed his way down the west bank of the Bashee to the Bongo mountain; the enemy's loss being considerable, but only a few casualties on his side.
5. I here ordered the Fingo Levy, under Captain Fuller, to work round to the mouth of the Nxaxa, to clear that part of the country, and be ready to cooperate with me in an attack which I intended making on the Manubie forest on Sunday.
6. Receiving information from scouts that the enemy was in force at the junction of Xabacase and Quota rivers, I 'started at daybreak next morning (29th December, 1877), and took up position on the high ground above the Quora river, sending out the Fingo Levies under Commandant Maclean and Captain Feldtman as advance guard; these soon came in contact with the enemy, and attacking them with spirit, after a sharp skirmish completely routed them, capturing 910 head of cattle and some horses; over 100 women and children were in the bush, and forwarded under Fingo escort to Ibeka. The captured cattle were distributed next morning amongst the native levies.
7. 30th December, 1877. The next day I advanced through the west side of the Manubie forest, saw but a few stragglers, and captured 58 heads of cattle, and towards the mouth of the Quora I met Captain Fuller, who had advanced with his Fingoes from the south side of the Manubie; he reported having exchanged sundry shots with the enemy, who were but few in number.
8. I had arranged that Major Hopton's column should work round one day's march behind me, so as to prevent the retreat of stragglers towards the Colony.
9. At this camp (Kabacase) on the edge of the Manubie forest, Captain Grenfell joined my force, and took charge of the Ordnance Department, and made himself most useful to me in many ways. I regret that he has been obliged to leave this day, the 6th January, in consequence of his services being required elsewhere.
10. It was reported to me by Major Hopton, whose column was following us up, that the spoor of the enemy with cattle was observed, having crossed in our rear towards Mapassa's people, I immediately sent off Captain A. Davies with 250 Fingoes to follow it up and report to me if they had joined Mapassa, or gone into the Colony. He had not returned when I crossed the Quora, and I presume he has rejoined Major Hopton's column, as I have heard nothing of him since.
11. 31st December, 1877. The next day Captain Nixon, R.E., having constructed a barrel raft, the whole of my column was enabled to cross the Quora river at its mouth without difficulty early the next morning; (1st January, 1878), and took up a position a few miles from it, overlooking the river Injura.
12. I there met Captain Upcher's column, who had worked down the Ncauja Ridge, not meeting with much opposition, but thoroughly scouring the country, and had captured about 500 head of cattle. H.M.S. "Active" was seen steaming off the Injura river mouth. My signals were observed, and I effected communication with Commodore Sullivan, who returned at my request to the mouth of the Bashee.
13. Having heard of the Gaika disturbance, I ordered Major Hopton to remain on the south side of the Quora, to patrol and keep the country clear between that river and the Kei, and be in readiness to render assistance to the Colony if required.
14. I also sent Mr. J. Maclean's troops to assist the Fingoes on the Kei border towards the Tsomo river.
15. Finding the Injura impassable for wagons, I sent the infantry with spare ammunition, supplies, &c., under Captain Upcher, round by the Ncauja ridge to meet me at Mallin's Mission Station, whilst I went across the Injura with Robinson's  Artillery and 2 guns, and about 100 mounted men of the Frontier Armed Mounted Police, and 24th Regiment, and 1,300 Fingoes, taking three days' provisions.
16. Passing through a rough and broken country, I crossed the Inixwene river, and surmounting the ridge above it, camped at the lead of the Nabaxa, the Fingoes proceeding in haste to make a reconnaissance of the Udwessa forest, which I intended to attack if my scouts reported the presence of the enemy.
     The next morning (3rd January, 1878) I sent Robinson's artillery to Badi, and went across country towards the mouth of the Bashee, with escort of 100 mounted men, to meet Allan Maclean, and hear the result of his reconnaissance.
      He reported the forest clear, the enemy having hastily retreated, leaving their cattle behind them on the banks of the Nabaxana, which fell into my hands (500 head) ; a few of the enemy were shot.
18. Wishing to communicate with Commodore Sullivan, I directed Commander Wright, R.N., to proceed to the mouth of the Bashee, with Maclean's and Fuller's Fingoes, the former to communicate with H.M.S. "Active," and the latter to guard the drifts; and returned to a place called Badi (4th January, 1878).
19. 5th January, 1878. Here I was joined by Major Boyes and a small force of Fingoes and Tembus; he brought me despatches from Major Elliott, who reported that he had marched his party to the Idutywa, and was awaiting orders.
20. On the next day I marched to a camp near the Shixleni river, passing Mallin's Mission Station; here there is good water, and I can strongly recommend it as a good position for an entrenched camp.
21. I can report that so far as large bodies of the enemy are concerned, Galeka land has been swept in every direction clear of the enemy; at the same time, owing to the physical features of the country, and the small force at my disposal, it is impossible in my opinion to prevent small straggling parties from being concealed in, or returning into the country.
22. At the same time I consider that with a line of entrenched posts to be occupied for some time in carefully selected spots, and patrolling constantly kept up, there need be no alarm at a repetition of the incursions of large armed bands of Galekas into the country.
23. The first of these posts will be formed this day, and the entrenchments commenced under the direction of Captain Nixon, R.E.
24. Since my assuming command, we have captured from the enemy about 2,360 head of cattle; all the new huts which. have been constructed by the enemy, together with a number left standing in the last campaign, have been destroyed.
25. The loss of the enemy in the different engagements, including Major Elliott's action on the Bashee, the repulse of the enemy by Sub- Inspector Wylde at Mallin's Mission Station, and Captain Robinson's successful attack on the  "Kobogaba" river, is reported to be 120 killed, the wounded it is impossible to estimate, as they are invariably carried off by the retreating enemy.
26. This satisfactory result has been obtained at the trifling loss to the forces under my command, of one European killed, one dangerously wounded, and 19 natives killed and wounded.
27. I should add that ever since the news of the outbreak in the Colony, the Fingo levies have solicited permission to return to defend their homes; to endeavour to check this natural wish on their part, I sent back Inspector Maclean with his troop of Frontier Armed Mounted Police, to proceed to the junction of the Kei and Xomo rivers, and by his presence there at once to check the raids from the Gaikas, and to inspire the Fingoes with confidence that their cattle and homes would be protected during their absence.
28. I subsequently gave permission to Captain Feldtman and his Company of 400 Fingoes to return for the same reason, on the distinct understanding that he would rejoin my column should, his services be further required.

I leave for the Bashee mouth to-morrow. 7th January.
I have, &c.,
Colonel Commanding Transkei Field Force.


From Captain Upcher, 24th Regiment, Commanding Left Column, to Colonel Glyn, Commanding Transkei Forces.
    I HAVE the honour to report that on Thursday, 27th December, 1877, I proceeded from Ibeka  with Left Column Transkei Field Force, strength as per margin. N   Halted at 4 p.m., and pitched camp at Nquadu. Owing to the artillery horses being tired with their long march from King William's Town, camp was not struck on the 28th until 1 p.m., when the column moved on to Pullen's Post; here the force was augmented by Fingoes and Frontier Armed Mounted Police. Spies reported Kaffirs on the Bonxa Bust on our left, and also in the direction of the Sugauya mountain, and towards the Cora river on our right flank.
Hearing from Inspector Hook that Major Elliott with strong force of Tembus and Police was at Wild's camp, I thought it best to communicate with him, and thinking he might be able to co-operate with us against any of the enemy, in the direction of Bonxa and the Xnabaga river, decided to patrol the next day in
the direction of the Cora river.
     At 4 a.m. on the 29th, started on patrol with 80 Imperial troops, Inspector Hook and 35 Frontier Armed Mounted Police, and 700 Fingoes. On reaching the Quauinga river, we found it impossible to take over artillery, and as Galekas in some strength were seen on the Sugauya ridge, I sent back the artillery with one Company of the 24th Regiment and mounted escort, and with the remainder of the force pressed forward as fast as possible.
    The mounted Galekas were forced across the Cora river, the remainder broke up into small parties ; those carrying weapons who were overtaken were disarmed, and the men, women, and children ordered on to report themselves to Colonel Eustace at Ibeka. We also captured about 480 head of cattle and 10 horses. Returned to camp at 5 p.m.
     30th December. - Started at 3.30 a.m. with Inspector Hook's Police and Captain Wood's Fingoes. Scoured the country from our camp; our left reaching the Shixiwi river, our right the Quaninga ridge; patrolled as far as the head of the Injura river. Galeka women reported the men to have, left and crossed Bashee two days previous.
     The infantry and artillery proceeded along the Quaninga ridge ready to support Police and Fingoes if required; the very rough country delayed the wagons, and the troops had to march back about three miles to join them, and again pitched camp about four miles west of Injura Bush. Heavy rains in the evening and all night. I sent out strong bodies of scouts to a considerable distance on. both flanks to prevent any body of the enemy from heading back.
    31st December. I gave the men a rest in the morning, Fingo scouts reporting nothing in sight. At one p.m., moved on about five miles on the ridge between Quaninga and Injura. Fingoes wounded two Gralekas in the bush in the Injura valley.
    1st January, 1878. Fingoes reporting spoor of men and cattle pointing towards the sea, I started with 80 men of the 24th, and marines, Inspector Hook's Police and Fingoes at 3.30 a.m., and patrolled to the mouth oft the Shixiwi here we fell in with parties of Feldtman's and Captain Pattle's Fingoes pressing forward towards the Udwessa.
    Halted the infantry, and ordered Captain Wood's Fingoes forward to camp at the mouth of the Xnagaba river; the mountainous nature of the ground prevented the artillery and wagons from reaching the mouth of the Shixiwi river, and the infantry of left column passed the night in the head quarter column camp. I regret to state that one of Lieutenant Kell's guns was damaged during this day's march.
    During the march down to the sea the advanced Fingo skirmishers came in contact with small parties of the Gralekas; no Fingoes wounded; reported eight of the enemy killed and wounded.
   I wish to state that during the patrol I was much assisted by Inspector Hook, whose experience and knowledge of the country was most valuable. Lieutenant Kell managed his guns admirably, and worked most energetically throughout, and I was most ably assisted by the other officers attached to the column.
I have, &c.,
(Signed) R. UPCHER, Captain Commanding Left Column.


Site Home Page

Guide to British Medals
Index Page