Medals of the Regiments:
The Argyll and Sutherland

Back to the main Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders  page  


The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

 Victoria Crosses

LG = London Gazette.



Name  Citation/Notes

The Indian Mutiny 1857 - 1858

1 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
John Dunlay
LG 24th December 1858

For being the first man, now surviving, of the Regiment, who, on the 16th November, 1857, entered one of the breaches in the Secundra Bagh, at Lucknow, with Captain Burroughs, whom he most gallantly supported against superior numbers.
Elected by the private soldiers of the Regiment.


2 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
William George Drummond Stewart
LG 24th December 1858

For distinguished personal gallantry at Lucknow, on the 16th November, 1857, in leading an attack upon and capturing two guns, by which the position of the mess house was secured.
Elected by the Officers of the Regiment.

3 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
John Paton
LG 24th December 1858

For distinguished personal gallantry at Lucknow, on the 16th of November, 1857, in proceeding alone round the Shah Nujjiff under an extremely heavy-fire, discovering a breach on the opposite side, to which he afterwards conducted the Regiment, by which means that important position was taken.
Elected by the non-commissioned officers of the Regiment.


4 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
 David MacKay
LG 24th December 1858

For great personal gallantry in capturing an enemy's colour after a most obstinate resistance, at the Secundra Bagh, Lucknow, on the 16th of November, 1857. He was severely wounded afterwards at the capture of the Shah Nujjiff.
Elected by the private soldiers of the Regiment.
5 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
Peter Grant
LG 24th December 1858

For great personal gallantry, on the 16th of November, 1857, at the Secundra Bagh, in killing five of the enemy with one of their own swords, who were attempting to follow Lieutenant- Colonel Ewart, when that officer was carrying away a colour which he had captured.
Elected by the private soldiers of the Regiment.
6 93rd Regiment 16th November 1857
 Lucknow, India.
 James Munro
LG 9th November 1860

For devoted gallantry, at Secunderabagh, on the 16th November, 1857, in having promptly rushed to the rescue of Captain E. Walsh, of the same corps, when wounded, and in danger of his life, whom he carried to a place of comparative safety, to which place the Serjeant was brought in, very shortly afterwards, badly wounded.


7 93rd Regiment11th March 1858
Lucknow, India
Lieutenant and Adjutant,
William McBean
LG 24th December 1858

For distinguished personal bravery in killing eleven of the enemy with his own hand in the main breach of the Begum Bagh at Lucknow, on the 11th March, 1858.


First World War  1914 - 1918

8 1/6th25th October 1918
 east of Maing, France
William Davidson Bissett
LG 6th January 1919

Lt. William Davidson Bissett, 1/6th Bn., Arg. & Suth'd Highrs. (T.F.).
   For most conspicuous bravery and leadership East of Maing on the 25th October, 1918, when in command of a platoon, which he led to its objective with great dash.
   Later, owing to casualties, he took command of the company and handled it with great skill after a determined enemy counterattack had turned his left flank. Realising the danger, he withdrew to the railway, thus temporarily saving the situation. The enemy, however, continued to advance in force after his men had exhausted their ammunition. Thereupon, under heavy fire, he mounted the railway embankment., and, calling upon his men to charge with the bayonet, drove back the enemy with heavy loss, and later, again charging forward, established his line.
    By his splendid example and fine leadership Lt. Bissett was the means of saving a critical situation.
9 1/6th 24th & 27th August 1918
near Hénin and
David Lowe MacIntyre
LG 26th October 1918

T /Lt. David Lowe MacIntyre, Arg. & Suth'd Highrs.
    For most conspicuous bravery in attack when, acting as Adjutant of his battalion, he was constantly in evidence in the firing line, and by his coolness under most heavy shell and machine-gun fire inspired the confidence of all ranks.
   Three days later he was in command of the firing line during an attack, and showed throughout most courageous and skilful leading in face of heavy machine-gun fire. When barbed wire was encountered, he personally reconnoitred it before leading his men forward. On one occasion, when extra strong entanglements were reached, he organised and took forward a party of men. and under heavy machine-gun fire supervised the making of gaps.
   Later, when the greater part of our line was definitely held up, Lt. MacIntyre rallied a small party, pushed forward through the enemy barrage in pursuit of an enemy machine-gun detachment, and ran them to earth in a " pill-box'' a short distance ahead, killing three and capturing an officer, ten other ranks and five machine guns. In this redoubt he and his party raided three "pill-boxes" and disposed of the occupants, thus enabling the battalion to capture the redoubt.
    When the battalion was ordered to take up a defensive position, Lt. MacIntyre, after he had been relieved of command of the firing line, reconnoitred the right flank which was exposed. When doing this an enemy machine gun opened fire close to him. Without any hesitation he rushed it single-handed, put the team to flight and brought in the gun. On returning to the redoubt he continued to show splendid spirit while supervising consolidation.
   The success of the advance was largely due to Lt. MacIntyre's fine leadership and initiative, and his gallantry and leading was an inspiring example to all.

10 1/7th attached to the 1/8th 21st March 1918
 east of Marteville,
2nd Lieutenant
John Crawford Buchan
LG 22nd May 1918

2nd Lt. John Crawford Buchan, Arg. & Suth'd Highrs.
    For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty. When fighting with his platoon in the forward position of the battle zone, 2nd Lt. Buchan, although wounded early in the day, insisted on remaining with his men, and continually visited all his posts, encouraging and cheering his men in spite of most severe shell fire, from which his platoon was suffering heavy casualties.
    Later, when the enemy were creeping closer, and heavy machine-gun fire was raking his position, 2nd Lt. Buchan, with utter disregard of his personal safety, continued to visit his posts, and though still further injured accidentally, he continued to encourage his men and visit his posts. Eventually, when he saw the enemy had practically surrounded his command, he collected his platoon and prepared to fight his way back to the supporting line. At this point the enemy, who had crept round his right flank, rushed towards him, shouting out "Surrender." "To hell with surrender," he replied, and shooting the foremost of the enemy, he finally repelled this advance with his platoon. He then fought his way back to the supporting line of the forward position, where he held out till dusk.
    At dusk he fell back as ordered, but in spite of his injuries again refused to go to the aid post, saying his place was beside his men.- Owing to the unexpected withdrawal of troops on the left flank it was impossible to send orders to 2nd Lt. Buchan to withdraw, as he was already cut off, and he was last seen holding out against overwhelming odds.
    The gallantry, self-sacrifice, and utter disregard of personal safety displayed by this officer during these two days of most severe fighting is in keeping with the highest traditions of the British Army.

11 1/4th attached to the 2nd 23rd April 1917
 near Fontaine-les-Croisilles,
2nd Lieutenant (acting Captain)
Arthur Henderson, M.C.
LG 5th July 1917

2nd Lieutenant (acting Captain) Arthur Henderson, M.C., late Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
   For most conspicuous bravery. During an attack on the enemy trenches this officer, although almost immediately wounded in the left arm, led his Company through the front enemy line until he gained his final objective. He then proceeded to consolidate his position, which, owing to heavy gun and machine gun fire and bombing attacks, was in danger of being isolated.
   By his cheerful courage and coolness he was enabled to maintain the spirit of his men under most trying  conditions. Captain Henderson - was killed after he had successfully accomplished his task.

(Military Cross Citation published LG 10th January 1917:- 2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) Arthur Henderson, Arg. & Suth'd Highrs., Spec. Res. For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his company in the attack with great courage and determination, advancing our line and consolidating the position won with great skill. He has previously done fine work.)

12 9th, attached to the 136th Coy. Machine Gun Corps  22nd April 1917
 Istabulat, Mesopotamia
John Reginald Noble Graham
LG 14th September 1917

Lt. John Reginald Noble Graham, Arg. & Suth'd Highrs., attd. M.G.C.
   For most conspicuous bravery, coolness and resource when in command of a Machine Gun Section.  Lt. Graham accompanied his guns across open ground, under very heavy rifle and machine gun fire, and when his men became casualties, he assisted in carrying the ammunition. Although twice wounded he continued during the advance to control his guns and was able, with one gun, to open an accurate fire on the enemy, who were massing for a counter-attack. This gun was put out of action by the enemy's rifle fire, and he was again wounded. The advancing enemy forced him to retire, but before doing so he further disabled his gun, rendering it useless. He then brought a Lewis gun into action with excellent effect till all the ammunition was expended. He was again severely wounded, and forced through loss of blood to retire.
  His valour and skilful handling of his guns held up a strong counter-attack which threatened to roll up the left flank of the Brigade, and thus averted what might have been a very critical situation.

13 3rd and the R.F.C. 31st July 1915
 while flying reconnaissance over Ostend-Bruges-Ghent, Belgium
John Aidan Liddell
LG 23rd August 1915

Captain John Aidan Liddell, 3rd Battalion, Princess Louise's (Argyll- and Sutherland Highlanders), and Royal Flying Corps.
   For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on 31st July, 1915. When on a flying reconnaissance over Ostend-Bruges-Ghent he was severely wounded (his right thigh being broken), which caused momentary unconsciousness, but by a great effort he recovered partial control after his machine had dropped nearly 3,000 feet, and notwithstanding his collapsed state succeeded, although continually fired at, in completing his course, and brought the aeroplane into our lines— half an hour after he had been wounded.
    The difficulties experienced by this Officer in saving his machine, and the life of his observer, cannot be readily expressed, but as the control wheel and throttle control were smashed, and also one of the undercarriage struts, it would seem incredible that he could have accomplished his task.


Second World War 1939 - 1945

14 7th 6th April 1943
 Wadi Akarit, Tunisia
Major (temporary Lieutenant-Colonel)
Lorne MacLaine Campbell
LG 8th June 1943

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to: —

Major (temporary Lieutenant-Colonel) Lorne MacLaine Campbell, D.S.O., T.D. (16220), The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's) (Ardrishaig, Argyll).
    On the 6th April, 1943, in the attack upon the Wadi Akarit position, the task of breaking through the enemy minefield and antitank ditch to the East of the Roumana feature and of forming the initial bridgehead for a Brigade of the 5ist Highland Division was allotted to the Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell. The attack had to form up in complete darkness and had to traverse the main offshoot of the Wadi Akarit at an angle to the line of advance. In spite of heavy machinegun and shell fire in the early stages of the attack, Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell successfully accomplished this difficult operation, captured at least 600 prisoners and led his Battalion to its objective, having to cross an unswept portion of the enemy minefield in doing so.
    Later, upon reaching his objective he found that a gap which had been blown by the Royal Engineers in the anti-tank ditch did not correspond with the vehicle lane which had been cleared in the minefield. Realising the vital necessity of quickly establishing a gap for the passage of anti-tank guns, he took personal charge of this operation. It was now broad daylight and, under very heavy machine-gun fire and shell fire, he succeeded in making a personal reconnaissance and in conducting operations which led to the establishing of a vehicle gap.
    Throughout the day Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell held his position with his Battalion in the face of extremely heavy and constant shell fire, which the enemy was able to bring to bear by direct observation.
    About 1630 hours determined enemy counter-attacks began to develop, accompanied by tanks. In this phase of the fighting Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell's personality dominated the battle field by a display of valour and utter disregard for personal safety, which could not have been excelled. Realising that it was imperative for the future success of the Army plan to hold the bridgehead his Battalion had captured, he inspired his men by his presence in the forefront of the battle, cheering them on and rallying them as he moved to those points where the fighting was heaviest.
    When his left forward company was forced to give ground he went forward alone, into a hail of fire and personally reorganised their position, remaining with the company until the attack at this point was held. As reinforcements arrived upon the scene he was seen standing in the open directing the fight under close range fire of enemy infantry and he continued to do so although already painfully wounded in the neck by shell fire. It was not until the battle died down that he allowed his wound to be dressed. Even then, although in great pain, he refused to be evacuated, remaining with his Battalion and continuing to inspire them by his presence on the field.
     Darkness fell with the Argylls still holding their positions, though many of its officers and men had become casualties.
   There is no doubt that but for Lieutenant- Colonel Campbell's determination, splendid example of courage and disregard of pain, the bridgehead would have been lost. This officer's gallantry and magnificent leadership when his now tired men were charging the enemy with the bayonet and were fighting them at hand grenade range, are worthy of the highest honour, and can seldom have been surpassed in the long history of the Highland Brigade

15 8th  23rd April 1943
Longstop Hill, Tunisia
Lieutenant (temporary Captain)
 John Thompson McKellar Anderson
LG 29th June 1943

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to: —

Lieutenant (temporary Captain) (acting Major) John Thompson McKellar Anderson, D.S.O. (126502), The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's), (Bagshot, Surrey).

   For conspicuous gallantry and outstanding devotion to duty during the attack on " Longstop" Hill, Tunisia, on the 23rd April, 1943.
   Over a period of five hours Major Anderson led the attack through intense enemy machine-gun and mortar fire. As leading Company Commander he led the assault on the Battalion's first objective, in daylight, over a long expanse of open sloping hillside and most of the time without the effective cover of smoke. Enemy infantry opposition was most determined, and very heavy casualties were sustained, including all other rifle Company Commanders, before even the first objective was reached.
   On the first objective and still under continual enemy fire, Major Anderson reorganised the Battalion and rallied men whose Commanders, in most cases, had been either killed or wounded. The Commanding Officer having been killed, he took command of the Battalion and led the assault on the second objective. During this assault he received a leg wound, but in spite of this he carried on and finally captured " Longstop " Hill with a total force of only four officers and less than forty other ranks. Fire had been so intense during this stage of the attack that the remainder of the Battalion were pinned down and unable to advance until Major Anderson had successfully occupied the hill.
   During the assault, he personally led attacks on at least three enemy machine-gun positions and in every case was the first man into the enemy pits; he also led a successful attack on an enemy mortar position of four mortars, defended by over thirty of the enemy. Major Anderson's force on the hill captured about 200 prisoners and killed many more during the attack. It is largely due to this officer's bravery and daring that " Longstop " Hill was captured, and it was the inspiration of his example which encouraged leaderless men to continue the advance.


The Korean War 1950 - 1952

16 1st  23rd September 1950
Songju, Korea
Kenneth Muir
LG 5th January 1951

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the posthumous award of the VICTORIA CROSS to: —

Major Kenneth MUIR (50980), The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's) in recognition of gallant service in Korea.
   On 23rd September, 1950, " B " and " C " Companies of the 1st Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, attacked an enemy-held feature, Hill 282, and by 0800 hours had consolidated upon it. Some difficulty was experienced in evacuating the wounded from the position and demands were made for stretcherbearing parties to be sent forward by the Battalion. At this juncture the position came under mortar and shell fire.
   At approximately 0900 hours a stretcherbearing party arrived and with it came the Battalion Second-in-Command, Major K. MUIR. He proceeded to organise the evacuation of the casualties.
   At approximately 0930 hours, small parties of the enemy started to infiltrate on the left
flank necessitating the reinforcing of the forward platoon. For the next hour this infiltration increased, as did the shelling and mortaring, causing further casualties within the two companies.
    By 1100 hours, casualties were moderately severe and some difficulty was being experienced in holding the enemy. In addition, due to reinforcing the left flank and to providing personnel to assist with the wounded, both companies were so inextricably mixed that it was obvious that they must come under a unified command. Major MUIR, although only visiting the position, automatically took over command and with complete disregard for his own personal safety, started to move around the forward elements, cheering on and encouraging the men to greater efforts despite the fact that ammunition was running low. He was continually under enemy fire, and, despite entreaties from officers and men alike, refused to take cover.
    An air-strike against the enemy was arranged and air recognition panels were put out on the ground. At approximately 1215 hours the air-strike came in, but unfortunately the aircraft hit the Companies' position instead of that of the enemy. The main defensive position was hit with fire bombs and machine gun fire, causing more casualties and necessitating the withdrawal of the remaining troops to a position some fifty feet below the crest. There is no doubt that a complete retreat from the hill would have been fully justified at this time. Only some thirty fighting men remained and ammunition was extremely low. Major MUIR, however, realised that the enemy had not taken immediate advantage of the unfortunate incident and that the crest was still unoccupied although under fire.
    With the assistance of the three remaining officers, he immediately formed a small force of some thirty all ranks and personally led a counter-attack on the crest. To appreciate fully the implication of this, it is necessary to realise how demoralising the effect of the air-strike had been and it was entirely due to the courage, determination and splendid example of this officer that such a counterattack was possible. All ranks responded magnificently and the crest was re-taken.
     From this moment on, Major MUIR'S actions were beyond all possible praise. He was determined that the wounded would have adequate time to be taken out and he was just as determined that the enemy would not take the crest. Grossly outnumbered and under heavy automatic fire, Major MUIR moved about his small force re-distributing fast diminishing ammunition and when the ammunition for his own weapon was spent, he took over a 2 inch mortar which he used with very great effect against the enemy. While firing the mortar, he was still shouting encouragements and advice to his men and for a further five minutes the enemy were held. Finally, Major MUIR was hit with two bursts of automatic fire which mortally wounded him, but even then he retained consciousness and was still as determined to fight on. His last words were: —" The Gooks will never drive the Argylls off this hill".
    The effect of his splendid leadership on the men was nothing short of amazing and it was entirely due to his magnificent courage and example and the spirit which he imbued in those about him that all wounded were evacuated from the hill, and, as was subsequently discovered, very heavy casualties inflicted on the enemy in the defence of the crest.


© This website and its contents are copyright. Images are digitally watermarked. © North East Medals, All Rights Reserved



Site Home Page

Guide to British Medals

© This website and its contents are copyright. Images are digitally watermarked 
All Rights Reserved. North East Medals 2007 ©